Saturday, January 7, 2012

TBR Intervention (4)


Last Week's Intervention
I finished both of these books from my goals last week:



My review for The Truth About Forever is already up and the review for Touch of Power will be up next week!

I am halfway done with Crank by Ellen Hopkins.  I may have it done by the end of the day (which would technically mean I am 100% successful on this week's intervention).  But even if it takes me until tomorrow I am happy with the results of this week's intervention.

This Week's Intervention
I had this book listed on a previous TRB intervention but due to some technical difficulties I was not able to finish it. This week I will finish it!


Summary:
The murder investigation Detective Inspector Harriet Ware is heading takes her into an unsuspected world where publishers wearily fend off a spate of unwanted manuscripts. Her suspects include would-be authors who live as much in the plots they are weaving as in the mundane world they actually inhabit. ‘Crime Fiction for Beginners’ is five novels in one with an unexpected twist at the end.

My buddy, Jen, sent me the following book--which I am so excited about because I have heard so many great things about John Green.

Summary:
Before.  Miles "Pudge" Halter is done with his safe life at home.  His whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (Francois Rabelais, poet) even more.  HE heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe.  Because down the hall is Alaska Young.  The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself.  She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.

After.  Nothing is ever the same.

And of course I have to work at least one audiobook--but the one I have picked this time may take me more than a week but I am so excited because I have been wanting to read more of the classics and this series in particular.

Summary (copied from Goodreads):
Frodo Baggins knew the Ringwraiths were searching for him - and the Ring of Power he bore that would enable Sauron to destroy all that was good in Middle-earth. Now it was up to Frodo and his faithful servant Sam to carry the Ring to where it could be detroyed - in the very center of Sauron's dark kingdom.

So what are you planning to read this week?

14 comments:

  1. You have some great picks for this week.
    I only picked one. I hope I finish it in time!
    I think as I go along I will pick more than 1 book.
    I have Crank on my TBR. Can't wait to see what you think of it.
    Books & Beyond:TBR INTERVENTION & Giveaways

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Books and Beyond Thanks. I think you will finish on time but the book you picked sounds long. It may end up being like my Fellowship of the Rings pick--it may take longer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT picks for this coming week! Love LOTR so much, and Looking for Alaska sounds awesome. Would you believe that I haven't read any of the authors you read for this past week? Been meaning to pick up Crank and see what that's all about. Perhaps someday when I conquer a bit more of my TBR (i.e. - never.) lol. Good luck this week and welcome to the challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Ellen Hopkins. Her verse books turned out to be a pleasant surprise for me. I was unsure if I would like the format before I tried one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Dani I love Ellen Hopkins! She is wonderful and her style is so unlike any other author I have read. The poetry allows her to really take the reader inside her characters head without having to worry about grammar and/or sentence structure.

    @FABR I agree! When I first heard about Ellen Hopkins I thought it sounded weird but she makes it work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your reading. Hope you enjoy these books!
    Have a nice weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to hear what you think about Touch of Power.

    And John Green! I am such a huge fan of his. His books are funny and quirky and moving all at the same time. I can't decide whether Paper Towns or Looking for Alaska is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Lis Thanks. I hope you have a wonderful weekend as well.

    @Jen Here is a sneak peak: I LOVED Touch of Power!

    I am glad that I am starting with one of the two John Green books that you have listed as your favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great picks! I hope you'll enjoy them :)

    Touch of power sounded great, so I'm looking forward to your review.

    Happy Reading!

    Ron @ Stories of my life

    ReplyDelete
  10. Touch of Power is on my TBR and I'm glad that you loved it! =) I haven't read anything by Ellen Hopkins and I think I should try her books... I like the poetic style of writing... that's why I liked Maggie Stiefvater's books too... Good luck with your books! I hope you get to enjoy them! Have a great day Shanan!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Fellowship of the Ring! *drools* I hope you'll love it as much as I did - I still do.


    In response to your comment: I think I'll plan my posts from now on so as not to be staring at a blank canvas when I want to write but cannot come up with anything good. *sigh* My muse has left me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @April I have not read Maggie Stiefvater--but if she has a poetic style I think I would like it. I will have to (gasp) add to my TBR list. :)

    @Ayanami The scheduled post option is so helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hmm..I will suggest the John Greeen book to our book club! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @momto8 Hope your book club likes it. I am having a lot of fun reading him so far. :)

    ReplyDelete