Monday, August 1, 2011

The Book Addict Reviews: Jenna & Jonah Fauxmance by Brendan Halpin and Emily Franklin

Jenna & Jonah's Fauxmance

Genre: Young Adult, Romance
Order Online: Amazon.com
Author Info: Brendan Halpin | Emily Franklin
Rating: 3 stars
Bought this book.

In A Nutshell:
If you like Much Ado About Nothing as much as I do, you will enjoy this modern-day version of the classic storyline.  I enjoyed reading the book.  I enjoyed seeing finding the parallel’s to my favorite Shakespearan play.  But I was not overwhelmed by anything in the book. 

Review:
Charlie and Fielding are teen actors.  They star in a show called Jenna & Jonah’s How To Be a Rock Star.  But the show, and more specifically the network that runs the show, have taken control of their lives.  In particular they have been acting as though they are a couple off-camera too.  They set up cute “candid” shots of themselves for the paparazzi to take and sell to the tabloids and teen magazines.  They plan their “dates” at places they are sure to be seen and photographed.  They plan what they eat based on what the viewers will think of it.

I felt some sympathy for these characters.  On the surface they live the life that many people dream about, but in many ways they are both fed up.  They have grown to hate each other, but they are too afraid of what life would be like without the security of having a script tell them what to do, managers take care of all of the details, and fans to show them love.  What can they do without all of that?

Neither Charlie nor Fielding have parents that are involved in their lives.  Charlie applied for and was granted emancipation after her parents wasted all of the money she made as a child actor.  Fielding’s mother helped get him into Hollywood, but now is focused on helping his sister achieve her dreams of being an Olympic gymnast.  The adults that are involved in their lives are more interested in having a payday than whether Charlie or Fielding are happy.  

But then Charlie and Fielding land the leading roles in Much Ado About Nothing.  And predictably begin to see that they do not really hate each other.  They are falling in love with each other, slowly.  In a manner that brings their acting skills up to higher standard and shows them (and maybe their fans) that they are more than the teen stars they portrayed for so long.  

In many ways, the book is a little cheesy.  But it is cute too.  I had a smile on my face when I finished the book.  I am glad that I read it, but I do not think there was anything particularly special about the book that would make me want to read it again.

Recommendations:
I have started to enjoy these books written by two authors that give two perspectives on the events in the story, but I think I liked the first I read of this type better than Jenna & Jonah's Fauxmance.
Dash & Lily's Book of Dares

No comments:

Post a Comment