Friday, July 6, 2012

The Book Addict Reviews: Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels


Genre:  Non-Fiction, Women's Health, Health
Order Online: Amazon.com  
Author Info: Website | Goodreads
Rating: 2 stars   
Borrowed this book from the library. 

In A Nutshell:  
Admittedly, my opinion of this book could be affected by the audiobook format.  However, while I was impressed with the science and research displayed in the book, I felt like I may be able to implement some of her recommendations but I am not sure I can do them all. 

Review:  
For years I have lived a very sedentary lifestyle.  I ate fairly well so I was not significantly overweight--but one day I decided I wanted to make change.  I started getting up early so I could workout before getting ready for work.  I started getting workout DVDs to focus my efforts.  And I decided that at least once a month I wanted to read at least one book to learn more about living a healthier lifestyle.

I decided to start with Master Your Metabolism because I had purchased Jillian Michaels: 6 Week Six-Pack and loved it. It totally killed my abs but was not so overwhelming (at least at level 1) for me.  However, this book left me a little underwhelmed or maybe it is better to say overwhelmed and under impressed.  The plan that she outlines seems very rooted in science but with as prevalent as the hormone inhibitors that she described are, I cannot see how I will be able to implement all of her ideas.

I am also not sure that this book works well as an audiobook--there was so much scientific data.  I could not always follow all of it well in audio format.  It may have been better if I could have referred to the PDF that came with the audiobook but I normally listen to audiobooks when I am in situations where I cannot hold a hardcopy book to read it.  In those situations, I cannot access a PDF either.  

Recommendations:
While this book left me wanting more, I still love this workout and do it about twice a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment