Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Order Online: Amazon.com
Author Info: Website | Goodreads
Rating: 3 stars
Bought this book after a friend told me about it.
In A Nutshell:
I cannot wait to read the next book in the series. I feel drawn into the story and the world that Courtney Allison Moulton created. The number of fights in the book is almost overwhelming, which has been the only complaint my friends who read the book expressed to me. Angelfire is a book you can easily read more than once and get something new out of it each time.
Ellie is a teenager, worried about clothes, boys, classes...and nightmares. At least, that is Ellie’s life until her seventeenth birthday. At midnight, Will and Ellie meet. He awakens her powers and starts to explain her role in the war against the reapers. From that moment on her life will never be the same.
Ellie starts living a secret life. By day, she tries to be the normal teenager but by night, she is fighting the reapers with Will by her side. She is learning to control the weapon that only she can wield, Angelfire. At the same time, she has learned that the reapers are working to unleash a new weapon of their own; a weapon that can put an end to her ability to reincarnate and continue her fight.
Angelfire is an action-packed story filled with fight scenes. The fight scenes are well-written, but the amount can be overwhelming. I can see that the fights are demonstrating Ellie’s learning curve. She is getting better at fighting and wielding Angelfire in each batter. However, there was a point where I thought there seems to be a lot more fighting than learning. Even at the end of the book, she still only has a small amount of the knowledge that Will keeps promising her will come and most of what she has was provided by Will or alluded to by the reapers.
Courtney Allison Moulton did a wonderful job of job of drawing me into the world created in Angelfire. The world is intricate and heavily based on mythology. The characters and the roles they play are complex. I think the book needs to be read more once to be fully understood and appreciated. The differences between demonic reapers, angelic reapers, the Fallen, and so on are hard to keep straight. A glossary or appendix to help keep all of the terminology and relationships clear would be helpful.
I am waiting in anticipation for the next book in this series, which should be released on Feb. 14, 2012 according to Amazon. Goodreads has a picture of the cover.
In the meantime, I think I want to read one of the books that Courtney Allison Moulton has listed as currently reading:
Now for the GIVEAWAY.
In honor of reaching my first goal of 100 followers, I am offering a copy of Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton OR $15 E-gift card to Amazon.com.
1) Must be 18 years old to participate.
2) Shipping the book is limited to the US. The E-gift card is limited to where Amazon will allow you to use them.
3) Giveaway ends July 30, 2011 and the winner will be announced on July 31, 2011.
1) Comment on this post with your email address and the answer to the following question: What is your favorite fantasy novel? (1 entry)
2) Follow The Book Addict through Google Friend Connect--comment here to tell me whether you were old follower or new follower (1 entry for new follower, 2 entries for old follower)
3) Follow BookAddictNet on Twitter--comment here with Twitter name (1 entry)
4) Tweet about this giveaway--comment here with the url (1 entry--can be repeated once a day)
5) Like The Book Addict on Facebook--comment here (1 entry)