Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Book Addict Reviews: Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg

Prom and Prejudice

Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Realistic Fiction
Order Online: Amazon.com
Author Info: Website | Goodreads
Rating: 3 stars
Books picked up in Paperbackswap games.

In A Nutshell:

As a long-time fan of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, I was instantly drawn and quickly became enchanted with this modern-day adaptation. I enjoyed reading Prom and Prejudice; however I quickly found it to be so much a copy of the original story that it lacked originality. 

Review:

Elizabeth (Lizzie) Bennet and Will Darcy are caught in a stand-off.  Neither of them want to admit that their preconceived notions about the other based on social standing may be wrong, but they are attracted to each other anyway.  If you have read Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, this scenario will sound familiar.  Even the names are all familiar. 

The only thing that changed is the time and the place.  Rather than Victorian England, Prom and Prejudice is set in modern-day New England.  Rather than stressing about finding a suitable husband, the girls at Longbourn Academy stress about finding a prom date.  Otherwise, the story will sound very familiar.

That is not necessarily a negative.  The book was fun and refreshing after finishing two emotionally-draining tearjerkers in a row.  I would recommend it for those times when you just need a fun read, but I feel that most of the substance of this book really should be attributed to Jane Austen.

Recommendations:
I loved the other book by Elizabeth Eulberg, and in some ways I recommend it over Prom and Prejudice.
The Lonely Hearts Club

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you, Prom and Prejudice as retelling was a little lacking, and sometimes I felt the only difference was the coffee bar. Maybe if I looked at as just a young adult book I would feel differently? Thanks for your honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggled--it was a cute story but I don't know why a young adult could not read Pride and Prejudice instead. I read Pride and Prejudice in high school. I don't think the original is too much for the age group.

    However, I admit that I love Pride and Prejudice--and Darcy. And now I need to watch the A&E version of the movie very quickly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious about this book, but I tend to avoid Pride and Prejudice sequels and adaptations (apart from Bridget Jones that is!) I might get this on loan from my local library and check it out, though. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete