Monday, July 11, 2011

The Book Addict Reviews: Pink by Lili Wilkinson





Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary Fiction, New Experiences
Order Online: Amazon.com
Author Info: Website
Rating: 4 stars
Books picked up in Paperbackswap games.

In A Nutshell: 
This book has it all.  There is some humor, some sadness, some love, some hate; all wrapped into a story that draws the reader in and holds the readers attention until the very end.  Ava's struggle to find herself without losing herself is endearing.  It is realistic.  It is heartfelt.  It is one of the best books I have read in a long time.

Review:

Who am I?  What do I like?  What do I want to do with my life?  What do I stand for?  Where do I fit in?  Every teen has to answer these questions for his or herself.  In Pink, Lili Wilkinson explores these questions through Ava, who changes schools and takes the opportunity to make changes to her clothing, her friends, and her extra-curricular activities.  These changes lead to changes to how people see her and interact with her, but Ava finds these changes bring more questions.  Which person is she?  The one who goes to Billy Hughes or the person who went to her old school? 

Lili Wilkinson masterfully creates characters that were in a time in their lives where they are changing and trying to fit in.  They have strengths, weaknesses and a lot to learn about who they are and what they want.  While some of the characters seem to have answers and plans, Ava exemplifies a teen struggling to find their answers and make her plans.  Throughout the story, the reader is drawn into Ava’s struggle to find who she is and where she fits in.  Ava’s struggle feels very authentic and I felt a strong connection to her as I remembered my own struggles with these questions when I was a teen, which really drew me into this story.

Recommendations:
After reading this book, I am excited to find other books by Lili Wilkinson.  I hope the charm and endearment I found in Pink is customary of her work.

4 comments:

  1. I love teen lit as well! This sounds like a lot of fun! PS, I love your sparkly stars!!
    Thanks for following me, and I'm following you now too!
    Courtney
    Fuzzy.Coffee.Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shanan,
    I love the moniker of being a book addict...as truly I am one, as well. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    This book is interesting and I do have a number of YA's in my life who just might be interested in this type of blog, too. Did you have a chance to follow my blog, too?

    Kindly,
    Steve King
    booksatthebeach.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love anything pink! hahaha! this looks intriguing I might check it out and recommend this to pink lovers as well thanks for posting ^_^

    feel free to drop by http://kimyunalesca.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete