Thursday, February 23, 2012
The Book Addict Dares You To Read: Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
I love having the opportunity to challenge people to read books that I personally found compelling or interesting or just all out fun. But I want to know what you think? Have you read the book? Did it stick with you? If so, why? If not, why? _________________________________________________
Here is my review of the series.
Here are my 10 reasons you should read this series:
10) Excellent writing from her attention to detail to her excellent character development to her elaborately detailed world.
9) Memorable characters who I care about, who I identify with, who I want to follow through to the end of their journey.
8) Games that are emotional, action packed, page turners that I could not stop reading even though the tears were clouding my vision.
7) This series was my introduction to dystopian literature--and now I am a huge fan of the genre even though my heart is broken while reading dystopian books many times over.
6) A love triangle where my heart ached because I loved all three of the people in the triangle--I did not know who she would or should choose.
5) The descriptions of Cinna's clothing designs! He had such creativity, style, and finesse. I wanted to be wearing the designs--except for the fact that I would have had to be part of the games to do so--eek!
4) The critical look at politics, oppression, and opulence. I read current events stories very differently after reading this series. It affected the way think about terms like "progress" and "governance." And what amazes me the most is that it had this effect without ever coming off as preaching to me.
3) Buttercup. Okay maybe it is because I am a cat person--but the scenes with Buttercup always left me with a little bit of a smile on my face.
2) Katniss Everdeen is one of the most kick-ass female protagonist I have seen in a long time--my only wish is that she could see herself the way that Peeta and Gale can see her with all of her great qualities in the forefront.
1) My most anticipated movie of the year is coming out on March 23!
If you have read The Hunger Games Trilogy--what are your top 10 reasons people should read them?
If you have not read The Hunger Games Trilogy--do you want to?