Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Book Addict Reviews: The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien


Genre: Classic, Fantasy, Audiobook
Order Online: Amazon.com
Author Info: The Tolkien Society |
Rating: 4 stars
Borrowed this book from the library. 

In A Nutshell:
In some ways all the great things I had heard left me with very high expectations of this book--which also scared me a little because I was sure it could not reach my high expectations and I would be disappointed.  But J.R.R. Tolkien surprised me--he exceeded my expectations.  The mythology he created through this world he created was amazing.  The characters he created were charming and enchanting.  I laughed, I cried, I hoped, I grieved, but must of all I loved this book!

Review:
Ever since I went to the theater to see the first movie--I have been wanting to read these books.  I have tried a couple of times but I always seemed to get distracted about the time the party got into the Old Forest and Tom Bombadil led the group.  I could not seem to get past that road block into the rest of the story.

This year I made a pledge to try again--and to not stop until I got past this point that had always been a stumbling block for me before.  I also decided to try the audiobook to see if I had better luck.  I do not know if it that I was more determined, I was older and more ready to focus, or I was utilizing the audiobook which made it easier for me to work through the parts that were blocks for me in the past, but whatever it was I finished it this time.  And I am so glad that I did.

I understand that some people see the time with Tom Bombadil as a very important part of the story--so I do not want to sound like I did not appreciate Tom or that part of the story.  However, I did find myself more drawn into the story as we reached the elves and then as the fellowship traveled together.  I really want to find some of the information written about this book--to see what people have said about this book and this world that J.R.R. Tolkien created

The version I listened to had a foreword (which they put at the end?) written by J.R.R. Tolkien where he talked when he wrote the book and addressed some of the claims that readers had about the message he was trying to deliver through his story.  The foreword convinced me that this book would definitely be one that will benefit from re-reading and benefit from reading companion books about J.R.R. Tolkien, his life, and his writings. 

In general, I admired how J.R.R Tolkien's words created very detailed pictures in my mind.  I cannot wait to revisit the movie and see how it looked to me now that I had finished the book.  I feel like this experience with the book will help me appreciate some of the details of the movie even more. 

Recommendations:
I have been in love with Orlando Bloom as Legelos since the first time I saw the movie--so it is not like I need an excuse to watch the movie--but I think finishing the book does warrant a celebration and I choose:

And I think I may enjoy this guide as I tackle The Two Towers:

2 comments:

  1. I've had this book on my TBR shelf for ages... perhaps I need to set a goal and start it this year. Great review. + New Follower

    -Kimberly @ Turningthepages.blogspot.com feel free to drop by some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :)

      I am very glad that set the goal and read the book. :)

      Delete