Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Book Addict Reviews: Roderick Rules (Diary of a Wimpy Kid #2) by Jeff Kinney


Genre: Young Adult, Middle Grade, Siblings, Humor
Order Online: Amazon.com
Author Info: Goodreads | Website
Rating: 3 stars
Borrowed book from library. 

In A Nutshell:
I enjoyed this continuation of Greg's story--but I was not so enchanted with the story that I am compelled to read the next book in the series.  If I see it, I will probably pick it up but I do not think I will seek it out.

Review:
Greg's mom is so proud of him for finishing his first journal, she immediately went and got him another journal to chronicle this year.  And in that journal we are re-acquainted with a lot of the same cast of characters that charmed us in the original Diary of a Wimpy Kid.  Greg is still full of crazy schemes and wild ideas.  Rowley is still the faithful sidekick who always manages to come out ahead despite Greg's perceptions.  And Rodrick--well Rodrick is still the band member/big brother who flip flops between ignoring Greg and terrorizing Greg.

Overall, this book continued many of the same elements from the original.  In some ways I found this consistency appealing.  But the consistency also made the book a little too predictable to hold my attention for too long.  I think if the book had been any longer I would have really struggled to stay interested enough to finish the book.    

Jeff Kinney is able to bring out a lot of youthfulness and playfulness through his story and his drawings.  The book moves fast and is a relatively light and easy read.  There are quite a few parts that are laugh-out-loud funny, which was a little embarrassing when I was reading it at McDonald's while my daughter played in the play area.

Overall, I am glad I read it but I am not 100% sure if I will read the next book in the series or not.  I am not opposed to continuing to read more of the series--but I am also not driven to run out and get the next book either.

Recommendations:
I have the movie at my house, so I plan to watch and see if it compliments the book:

2 comments:

  1. my kids (i have 3 boys)love these books and we've seen the movie about 100 times

    ReplyDelete